Well, Happy New Year 2012 first and foremost. As usual, here’s how 2011’s anime fared for me.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Nothing in the rest of year managed to beat off the total entertainment value that Madoka provided. Also I spent 30k yen for the blu-rays so this better be fucking here.
Better than expected:
FRANCE-TAN IS STILL BEST-TAN.
I have to admit, German-suplexing a deer is fucking badass.
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa nai
This show deserved more Garuda
Fucking 3 month cliffhanger.
Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon
KIMI DIDN’T PUT HER CLOTHES BACK ON FUCK YEAH.
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
- Star Driver – That ending was MANBULOUS!
- Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu – We need more sentai parodies in the vein of Mitsudomoe’s style.
- Hourou Musuko – MC’s voice needs work.
- Steins;Gate – El Psy Congroo
- A-Channel – K-ON! done right.
- Kampfer fur die Liebe – Fuck you Natsuru.
- Maria+holic Alive – Needed more parodies.
- Softenni – DAT Eva parody
- Astarotte no Omocha – HNNNNNNNGHH Mercelida
- The World God Only Knows S2 – Will we ever get a third season to cover the awesome girls?
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko – I. CAN. FLY.
- Ro-Kyu-Bu! – Meido basketball players harem makes me so jelly.
- Ikoku Meiro no Croisee – HNNNNNNNGH Yune.
- Yuruyuri – Akkar– wait, who was that again?
- Kamisama Dolls – Wanted: badass berserker Kyohei.
- Usagi Drop – I’m glad the show stopped at Rin’s teething…..
- The iDOLM@STER – Needed more comedic moments.
- Mayo Chiki – Supporting Kanade-ojousama end.
- C³ Cube x Cursed x Curious – Iincho is delicious.
- Kimi to Boku – A-Channel with guys.
- Working’!! – More of the same goodness.
- Tamayura ~hitotose~ – Very healing.
- Mashiro-iro Symphony – The girl I liked the most actually won!
- Ben-To – Makes me hungry everytime I watch it.
- To Aru Majutsu no Index II – What happened already?
- Rio Rainbow Gate* – POKER META BATTLING.
- Yumekui Merry – Vagina bones.
- Gosick* – Not enough rolling.
- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! – Japan finally realized incest was a shit fad after this.
- Beelzebub* – Stopped after it got too shounen.
- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka – Eucliwood is cute.
- Dragon Crisis – Rose is cute.
- Fractale – Ha. Ha ha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAAHA. ( ﾟ∀ﾟ)ｱﾊﾊ八八ﾉヽﾉヽﾉヽﾉ ＼ / ＼/ ＼
- Dog Days – Lot of potential wasted by Seven Arcs derping around.
- Tiger and Bunny – Still can’t believe I actually finished this show.
- Hanasaku Iroha – First half okay, second half never existed.
- Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera* – Watched it for seiyuus.
- Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi – WHY DIDN’T MADOKA WIN?!!
- C: The money of soul and possibility – What the fuck is noitamina smoking lately?
- Hidan no Aria – Derp as shit.
- Deadman Wonderland – MC needs to be punched.
- Ao no Exorcist – Was okay until the original ending.
- Moshidora – I d’awwww’ed ;_;.
- Kami-sama no Memochou – Not detective enough.
- Sacred Seven – Meido army was so wasted.
- Natsume Yuujinchou S3 – Kinda lost its magic on me.
- No. 6 – What did I just watch?
- Blood-C* – Horribly retarded.
- Mawaru Penguindrum – Fuck you, Ikuhara.
- Baka-Test S2 – There wasn’t even any plot.
- Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi – Very… err.. unique.
- Nekogami Yaoyoruzu – Nampla jokes. (ಠ_ಠ)
- Dantalian no Shoka – I wish it wasn’t so disjointed.
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume S2 – The jokes aren’t that funny anymore…
- Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai* – Fucking political shit, I just wanted harem action!
- UN-GO – Very mindfuck.
* – Did not finish the entire series.
Total shows: 65.
Did not finish: 6.
Well, that’s better than last year then!
This year pretty much started on a very strong note with Madoka Magica setting a pretty high standard for the rest of the year. Fate／Zero is pretty much the only show to come close to it, if not for the fact it isn’t finished yet. There was a couple of shows that started strong, but eventually flopped out and didn’t manage to achieve greatness. Pretty much found the shorter, 1-cour shows to be the better ones this year.
It was a pretty good year for comedies though, with almost one each season. A-Channel in spring, Yuruyuri in Summer and Kimi to Boku + Working’!! for winter were my top picks. And then of course there’s also the resumption of the Gintama anime. Like it or not, that show is fucking crazy.
There you have it, my picks for the year and commentary for the rest. I really need to do this thing a lot more earlier next year so I don’t have to rush write again… :P.