Fuck yeah UNLIMITED RIFLE WORKS! God damn Mami is badass. Just when I thought episode 1 was amazing, episode 2 easily topped it.
So we finally get to know the details about the “system” regarding the Puella Magi and Witches:
- Puella Magi form contracts with Kyubey.
- Only chosen ones are able to see Kyubey.
- Contracted Puella Magi receive a Soul Gem.
- The Soul Gem represents their wish and is the source of their magical powers.
- The wish can be anything.
- Owners of the Soul Gem are obligated to fight Witches.
- Usage of magic will diminish the Soul Gem.
- Soul Gems can be cleansed using Grief Seeds.
And they look disturbing as fuck
- If Puella Magi are born from hope (wishes), then Witches are born from curses (despair).
- Witches target people with negative emotions and cause them harm.
- Witches converge in areas that usually have traffic accidents, suicide spots, hospitals.
- Witches constantly conceal themselves inside magical barriers (Shinbo-world). Normal people also cannot see Witches.
- Defeated Witches occasionally drop Grief Seeds.
And the implications:
- Puella Magi constantly have to hunt Witches to replenish and cleanse their Soul Gems. This results in competition between Puella Magi. Especially if there is a drop rate associated with the Grief Seeds from the Witches.
- Puella Magi are trading their lives to fulfill their wishes. Fighting the Witches is apparently a very dangerous job.
- Kyubey is contracted to at least multiple Puella Magi.
I wonder how Mami balances that on her hands.
Which raises a few questions:
- Why do the Soul Gems diminish when used?
- Why can the Grief Seeds, dropped from Witches, able to “cleanse” and replenish the Soul Gems?
- How do Witches come to exist?
- When does the wish made by the Puella Magi come true?
- Do the Puella Magi have to battle Witches all their lives?
- What does Kyubey do if the Puella Magi ask for horrible things?
- Why can Kyubey be harmed by another Puella Magi?
- Are there other existences like Kyubey?
- Why are the Puella Magi competing with each other for the Witches’ heads?
Starting to sound very fishy already…
It’s actually quite a devious system when you think about it. Of course, not everything has been revealed so far, but relying the facts and implications arising from the information given to us so far, it does make me feel if there’s more than meets the eye with Kyubey and the whole Soul Gem system and while Mami seems benign enough, there’s been a few spots where she can show that she is quite dangerous to be trifled with (episode 1 ending). There’s also the Faust insert in this episode to think about as well. I don’t know if that’s a red herring or a hint to what might happen later on.
In actually, Madoka’s future yuri partner?
Homerun Homura’s intentions are also sounding more and more like she is trying to prevent Madoka from falling in to some kind of trap more than her trying to do something that benefits herself as a Puella Magi. Not to mention her words to Madoka feel laced with some hindsight. That time loop/dream world theory is slowly starting to look very plausible…
Right. In any case, Madoka’s really giving us a good run for money with all these tantalizing teasing and hint-dropping. Hard to believe it’s gonna be another run-of-the-mill mahou shoujo series. I sincerely hope that the show doesn’t let us down in the end after whipping us viewers up in a frenzy like this. I haven’t been this anxious for a week to pass by as soon as possible.
In the mean time, I guess I will enjoy tea and cakes as much as I can.
P.S. I need to stay away from /a/’s Madoka threads herp derp.