Nice place for tea and cakes, girls.
Oh Shinbo, putting fanservice in the OP.
And DEM. ANGLES!
Madoka’s mom is very awesome and motherly. Also, she SPARKLES.
Meet Senjougahara Fate Homura, also known as “Akemi”.
Oh man, Shinbo’s Reality Marble creations are really one of a kind. I EXPECTED NOTHING LESS.
And it’s apparently themed… or called 「劇団イヌカレー」(Gekidan inukare). I don’t know what to make of it. Apparently Gekidan Inu Curry is an animation team that also did Bakemono’s ED. Sorry if I wasn’t otaku enough to memorize every animator’s name nowadays, please accept my sincere apologies, oh otaku Ph.D Barry Sanders.
Fuck yeah, Mami appears! Too bad futaba didn’t cap her UNLIMITED REVOLVER WORKS part, that shit was epic. Especially with the Yuki Kajiura accompaniment.
- If you didn’t like episode 1 of Nanoha, chances are you will find episode of Madoka similarly boring until the last 4 minutes of the episode.
- This was way more traditional than I thought, but the last four minutes definitely deserves attention.
- Chiwa Saitou sure is channeling Senjougahara way hard as Akemi.
- I don’t know why, but KitaEri’s character, Miki, is already my favourite.
- Well, so is Mami as well, BUT WHO DOESN’T AFTER SEEING THE LAST FOUR MINUTES?!
- Kajiura sure went all out with the music in this episode. If you ever wondered how Nanoha would’ve sounded like with Kajiura doing OST, then you’ve got it in Madoka. Oh hell, even walking down a hallway sounded epic with her BGM playing the background.
- Speaking of background, this episode was relatively light in any form of explanation about the general objectives (enemies, magic, etc. etc.).
- Ah, but there was that last part where Kyubei says it can grant any wish of the girls if they help it out.
- OP is very cute. How can you say no to fanservice Madoka (AFRO MODE LAWL) and symmetrical self-docking?!
- No ED yet, sadly, but the first track in the episode is apparently the ED.
Overall, it’s nothing super outstanding for a first episode, but I like it when they start slow and introduce us slowly to the characters.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, the episode parallels quite a bit with the first episode of Nanoha (and probably most other mahou shoujo shows), but the last four minutes really made for some great talking points and shows off Shinbo and the rest of the crew’s uniqueness.
One thing I am worried about is the lack of any explanations regarding the magical systems, the enemies, Akemi’s “dark side” and etc. I do hope they actually have the setting designs all well planned out. I guess we will see next week if they actually make any sense. Overall, quite promising for now.
Also, the end card is very very pretty.
I.S and Yumekui Merry probably tomorrow. Not like they’re any good so far I’ve seen.