You know the drill.
The really good:
Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu
SHAFT gets it right third time round.
Youjouhan Shinwa Taikei
The last three episodes made the show worth it.
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
Decent anime adaptation for a really great seinen manga.
Yosuga no Sora
This is how eroge adaptations should be done.
Even surpassed the manga at points.
Noitamina’s really great this year.
- Durarara!! — I can’t believe there’s headless moe now.
- Hanamaru Kindergarten —Will Tsucchi ever get to confess to Yamamoto-sensei properly?
- To Aru Kagaku no Railgun — Biribiri
- So-Ra-No-Wo-To — Amazing grace~ how sweet the girls
- B-gata H-kei — Blue balls all around.
- Working!! — SAM WAN WAN SAM WAN WAN
- Ichiban Ushirou Daimaou — How to go against the world… in style.
- Amagami SS — Kneepits and bellybuttons with stalkers.
- Shukufuku no Campanella — Very fuwa-fuwa.
- Mitsudomoe — I like how their teacher was forgotten over time.
- Seitokai no Yakuindomo — Sex jokes extraordinaire!
- Shiki — Blood and staking arc was well worth it.
- MM! — Set a landmark for a XEBEC show; almost no panty shots.
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume — Mini Ika Musume’s would’ve invaded us in no time.
- Tantei Opera Milky Holmes — BOYOYON~ BOYOYON~ BOYOYON~
- Cat Shit One — Those damn bunnies.
- Henzemi! — Akira Ishida talking about poop.
- Shakugan no Shana S — I think the lack of Yuuji made this OVA for me
- BakaTest — Good for a few laughs and forced memes.
- Chu-Bra — Talking boobs
- Ladies vs. Butlers — Mai Nakahara vs Ayako Kawasumi.
- Kobato — Made it through thanks to Kana-tan.
- Arakawa under the Bridge — Good for a few laughs.
- Arakawa under the Bridge^2 — Good for a few more laughs.
- The World God Only Knows — Kana-tan killed me.
- Fortune Arterial — Could have been better.
- Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls — Jubei was such a good girl ;_;
- Ookamikakushi — They had a girl with a giant scythe, man!
- Angel Beats! — “Maeda sure doesn’t know what pacing is even if it was a 380-pound albino gorilla wearing the Brazilian jersey emblazoned with the words “PACING” and blowing a vuvuzela to each ear. “
- Mayoi Neko Overrun! — Lack of zettai ryouiki after episode 1 killed it.
- Ookami to Shichinin no Nakamatachi — Sad when the narration is the biggest highlight of the show isn’t it?
- Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin — I still don’t know what I watched.
- Strike Witches II — Forced drama at the end ruined it.
- Asobi ni Ikuyo! — Wasted potential for epic.
- Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt – Too experimental, even for Gainax.
- Sora no Otoshimono Forte — I am still mad.
- Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii wake ga nai — *sigh*
- Otome Youkai Zakuro — Did they really have to put in the incest angle in there?
- DtB: Gaiden — Went full emo and still didn’t explain shit.
- TTGL Lagaan-hen
- Evangelion 2.22
- Bungaku Shoujo
- Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime
- Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Movie the 1st
- The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi
Did not finish:
- Seikon no Qwaser
- Dance in the Vampire Bund
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama
- Nodame Cantabile Finale
- Highschool of the Dead
- Legend of the Legendary Heroes
- Giant Killing
- Senkou no Night Raid
- Sarai-ya Goyou
- Nurarihyon no Mago
- Iron Man
- Kimi ni Todoke
So… 61 shows started this year, 46 completed. Pretty good I guess.
Despite a lot of the griping I did this year, I did finish a lot more shows than I expected to and even enjoyed a lot of them, although most of them probably aren’t going to make any lasting marks on me.
Movies were probably the best thing this year though, since it seems that production committees and creators are realizing that TV anime isn’t that big and lucrative a market anymore, so it’s better to pool budgets and resources in to making something that is at least guaranteed to sell twice (theater seats and DVD/Blu-Rays). Of course that is bad news for us dirty gaijin anime thieves… since we’ll have to wait an inordinately long amount of time for movies to be out. Sigh.
That being said, I’d like to thank my readers for keeping up with me another year in this blog (oh gods, it’s been more than five years now) and I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2011. Here’s to hoping for another fun year ahead for us all, especially in anime. A number of original shows are seemingly coming out next year and I do hope they all do good for us.
Stick around tomorrow, (hopefully after the hangovers have cleared) for another post about the year gone past.