- More 111th Fleet flashbacks. Ranka definitely summoned the Vajra that attacked the fleet. Grace is terribly injured in the attack which results in her hatred of the Vajra.
- Ozma returns back to the wreckage of the 111th fleet to retrieve back the surviving research data. They find out about Grace’s paper on the combination of implants + Vajra’s zero-time fold network, surmising that it will solve the communication lags but whoever controls the root node will control the galaxy if everyone is implanted. Ozma and the rest decide to not let it happen.
- Sheryl is confirmed to be Mao Nome’s grand-daughter, from the surviving personal letters Cathy finds in the wreckage.
- Frontier warps out near the Vajra planet. Operation details are relayed to all forces. The plan is to break through the Vajra encirclement then drop Island 1 and the remaining Islands on to land while the military takes care of the Queen (the big-eye shaped formation) at the same time.
- Before the operation begins, Alto visits Sheryl to promise her that he’ll return from the battle and he states to her that he finally realises that people cannot fly alone. Sheryl gives Alto a very passionate kiss. Alto tries to reply, but Sheryl stops him, saying that if he says it now, she won’t be able to sing anymore. Sheryl tells him to save Ranka and sends him off with her remaining earring (oh noes!!!).
- The battle commences. Sheryl begins with “Iteza Gogo Kyuji Don’t Be Late”. The Frontier forces have the upper hand at the beginning.
- Leon orders the Islands to be dropped to the planet as they have the upper hand. Slave Brera makes Ranka sing to reorganize the scattered Vajra forces, most ironically using “Ai Oboeteimasuka” as the catalyst. Grace comes face-to-face with the true Vajra Queen while this happens.
- The Frontier forces sustain much losses. Alto is angered by Ranka’s action. Brera emerges to face him off, telling him to lay his hands off her younger sister. Alto loses the first round and Klan takes over, but Brera dispatches her as well.
- Alto returns back in to the fight, but Brera lands a perfect hit on his unit. It spirals away and explodes. Sheryl goes “ALTOOOOOO!!!!!!!!”
- Next episode preview: No footage of the show, instead it’s replaced with someone flipping away at a collage of the happier scenes of the series of the three leads. The narration sounds very… “final”.
And so, the penultimate episode of MacF ends with a terrible cliffhanger. I sure didn’t expect Alto to explode up so nicely, especially after he promises Sheryl he’ll definitely be back and technically confessed to her already.
Speaking of that part, that was definitely the scene I have been waiting for all this time to happen, Alto strongly confessing his feelings for Sheryl right before the final battle begins. It’s a bit predictable, but damn, I am thoroughly satisfied with that.
Also, it’s finally confirmed that Sheryl is a true Nome, and she is Mao’s grand-daughter. Of course, that also leaves the question of how she ended up in the trash alleys of Galaxy unanswered.
Well, another week wait for the finale, and that’ll wrap up one of the signature shows of this year. Please please please please please please let Sheryl live. And I hope she also has a new song too. I suspect we’ll just probably get a duet of Aimo, maybe Lion too though.